Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Christian Music: The Soundtrack of The N64

With consoles today, if you don't like a certain sountrack in a game, you have an option of loading your own music onto the system and then using the tracks in the game of your choice. It doesn't work with all games, but its a really good option for the games that do support it.

Back in the late 90's, if you didn't like a soundtrack in a game, your only option was to turn the volume down on the TV and pop a CD in the player and press play as you boot up the game. If you wanted to keep the game sound effects, you could go to the game menu and turn the music down. This makes for a more authentic feel. My brother and I always seem to do this while playing the Nintendo 64. I'm not saying that any soundtrack or music from games like Mario or Zelda were bad, but it was just kind of fun to play to the tunes of Ghoti Hook or Five Iron Frenzy.

Today when I listen to some of the Christian music from the late 90's(the best of Christian music was from that era) I can't help but think about some of these N64 titles.

Here are some examples of games and music we played to.


Five Iron Frenzy



Starflyer 59 (especially in the Water Temple. Probably because that's where I spent most of my time...frustrated!)



Ghoti Hook





1 comment:

Adam Cramer said...

ok, chunk...i was right there with you until that last one...point of grace?!?! PLEEEASE tell me that was a joke!