Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fever Pitch

So for the past few years I've had this tradition of watching the movie Fever Pitch around the opening of baseball season. It's just a little something to get me excited about baseball. Yeah, I know that there is more to this movie than baseball and that there are probably plenty more baseball baseball movies to watch, but yeah, I'll still go with this one.

Heres why...


  • This movie dealt with a Boston Red Sox fan through the 2004 season. You can feel the love and frustration of someone who has a big love for the team that hasn't won the World Series for like ever. These Red Sox fans are very similar to Chicago Cubs fans. The wait has been too long, but fortunately for the Sox fans, they've won 2 of the last 4. The Cubs on the other hand...yep. So in a lot of ways, I can relate to the fans in this movie, during that time.


  • Saying all that, I am actually a fan of the Red Sox and maybe all teams Boston(do I even dare to mention that I own a Tom Brady jersey? Hmm..that's a different story) So its kind of fun to just watch the movie and stuff and get that tingly feeling when the Red Sox win the World Series and you hear the The Dropkick Murphys song, Tessie.


  • I like romantic comedies? Yeah, I can say that. It's fun. Although I can't really say that I'm the biggest fan of Mr. "I will laugh and ruin your sketch" Fallon, but for this movie, I believe him and Drew Barrymore are really good for their rolls. It's nice and It's lovely. I really like this movie. To see a man who is blinded by the love for his team and baseball, to see or even feel the same way for the girl and then to finally realize that the Red Sox are nothing, compared to the love of your girl friend, is just awesome. To watch as he would rather sell his season tickets, in order to not lose the love of his life and to see her run across the outfeild of Fenway(although not really reaslistic) to stop him, is just awesome.

    In a way, I think that kind of relates to us Christ Followers. We are too distracted by stuff such as entertainment, relationships, work, sports, and sin, to develop a more intimate relationship with God. I think we need to ask ourselves, "What is that love in my life that stands before God?" and just sit down and sign it over to Him or something. Sin should be thrown out, but as far as the other stuff that isn't "bad", just lift it to Christ and he'll give you a "World Series" in your life.


So what more can I say...not much really. I'm ready for baseball. I'm ready for the Cubs and I'm ready for the Red Sox. I think I am just becoming more of a fan of all baseball. It used to be that I'll watch all the Cubs games that I could, on either WGN or Comcast and watch who ever was playing on Saturday Fox baseball or Sunday Nights on ESPN. Now I kind of wish I had MLB TV or something, because I kind of want to watch more games and stuff. It's fun. Don't get me wrong, the Cubs are still my team, but I just wanna watch more games and teams and players. I've gained a lot of respect for other teams and players. I can't say that I hate any teams, but I can't say I like all teams. I can say, "I LIKE BASEBALL!"

so bye bye beautiful

No comments: