Monday, February 23, 2009

CP Memory: Directing Traffic

Towards the end of an operating season, when college kids start to go back to school, Cedar Point will take employees out of certain departments and place them other departments to help out. This happened to me in 2003. In this case, the traffic department needed some help and I was asked... well not really asked... I was just scheduled to direct a week a traffic. So basically all I had to do is stand straight down from the toll booths and point which way the car should go. Simple? Yes, that location was.

However, there this one location that was very frustrating. You basically had to watch like 30 directions and help pedestrians cross and stop the road traffic and the four different entrances and exits of the parking lot and also the motor home/bus parking lot. They kind of want people to gain experience, before tackling that station. Was that the case for me? NO! They placed me there like everyday that week! It SUCKED! Drivers started to tick me off! AHHH! I get very frustrated just thinking about it. I almost caused several minor accidents. That would have been horrible.

I guess my only question is... Why did they place me, a sweep, that was just there to fill in for a week, with not traffic training at all, at the hardest station to direct traffic? Hmm...

So there you have it... a Cedar Point memory that wasn't a good one.

No comments: